Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hot/Cold Pack

In those long days when Ken was suffering terribly from Sciatica and following surgery the doctors recommended cold packs. The cold packs I had on hand were the hard rigid blocks that you use in the coolers.
Someone had mentioned to me about using rice to make a hot/cold pack. I bought flannel cloth and a 5# bag of rice and put together this.


My fabric was cut 9" x 12". I put the two outside sheets together to sew all four sides except for the center  I left 2-4 inches open. I clipped the corners and turned the casing right side out. I made a seam to divide the casing in half all the way across the length of the casing folding the open seam to blind stitch later. I filled each side with equal amounts of rice and blind stitched it together. 
This work beautifully because the rice is flexible and wasn't hard or uncomfortable on the surgical incision. It is amazing how long it stays cold and lasted beyond the required 20 minutes. I made two because I was not sure how long it would take to get cold but I only needed one. 

Blessings to all.
Shirley 

No comments:

Post a Comment