Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Busy Hands

Matthew 5:9
 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

1 Thessalonians 4:9-11
9  Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another,
10  for that indeed is what you are doing to all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more,
11  and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you,


Perhaps these verses are not what I was thinking of when I was contemplating this post but busy hands do make time fly. 
It all began in the 70's or 80's with a sister-in-law who had a love for piecing quilts together. Our family made a visit  to their home and the sister-in-law and I took a trip to a quilt shop. She bought a quilt book and wrote a little note in the  quilt book. I still have that book and plan to use a pattern in it soon.
I have always busied myself with crocheting, knitting, and other needlework. I've always kept busy with my hands. When retirement came the scraps of cloth that I'd moved  needed to be used. 
This is what I've done so far.
 Wedding Ring or Churn Dash top acquired from family member of husband. Added backing and quilt batting for quilting. I love the blue color.


 My grandmother on my father's side made crafts and sold them for extra income. In addition, she quilted. This top and backing was given to me and I had it finished at the end of 2014.


When we lived in Cambridge, Nebraska, I frequently shopped at a thrift shop where the proceeds went for items the hospital that were not in their budget. There was a shoe box with pre-cut fabric. The price was $15.00 The volunteer thought that was too much and sold it to me for $5.00. This is my first completed quilt and treasure it. 

I have more in the works and anxious to get to working on them.
Have a great Tuesday. 

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment