Saturday, September 15, 2012

I'm Still Learning


Singer Serger

You would think that at almost 65 years old that you wouldn't make mistakes. Well, that is a myth.
I love to sew and am doing some sewing. Not nearly enough to suit me but that's another story.  I have a friend who is so talented she has a sewing machine, serger, and a quilting machine. She lives in Nebraska and I wanted to be as talented as she is.
There was a garage sale across the street and there was a serger. I bought it. It wasn't working right. It may have been my fault because I did not know how to sew with one. It will be going to a repair shop soon.
I have learned with sergers that you need to take a class or find someone you can spend some time with and learn to operate it correctly. They are tricky and if you do not know how to run one you can damage something before you even get started.
I am told that JoAnne Fabrics has classes regularly and sometimes on sergers. If you have any desire to get a serger, research sergers and what they do. If you can find someone who has one and have them show you or take a class before you buy one.
The other part of the story which does not have an ending yet is that I asked about finding someone to repair sewing machines and sergers. I called this repairman and his advice is to find an older used well-built serger because the new cheaper ones are not built as well.
I will update you when I get this serger repaired. I hope I can prevent someone from making the same mistake.
If you find one at a garage sale plug it in and see if it sews before you pay for it. If the owner is there have them show you.
Hope this helps.
Empty Nest Homemaker

No comments:

Post a Comment